Thursday 10 May 2007

Confucian views

The great person considers Heaven and Earth as one Body… the world as one family and the nation as one Person. Those who make artificial distinctions between themselves and others are persons of spiritual immaturity…. Everything from ruler, administrator, husband, wife, and friends to mountains, rivers, spirits, birds, animals and plants must be deeply loved in order to comprehend and actualize my own humanity….

Wang Yang Ming (1472-1529) Industry in the Great Learning in Doland St John, Encounter (1982) p.343

Heaven is my father and Earth is my mother, and even such a small creature as I find an intimate place in their midst. Therefore that which extends thoughout the universe I regard as my body and that which directs the universe I consider my nature. All people are my brothers and sisters, and all things are my companions.

The Western Inscription
in Thomas Keith, Man and the Natural World .

No comments: