- What is economic growth?
- Why is economic growth a threat to the environment?
- Why is economic growth a threat to economic sustainability, national security, and international stability?
- Can’t technology alleviate the threat of economic growth?
- Can’t the economy continue growing for quite a while without bumping up against ecological limits?
- Can’t “green growth” allow the economy to continue growing without causing harm?
- Can’t we continue growing the economy indefinitely as we transition to an information economy?
- Why should we emphasize the phrase “economic growth” in discussions on the environment and national security?
- What would a steady state economy look like?
- Would we have to give up individual freedoms in a steady state economy?
Thursday, 28 July 2011
The steady-state economy -- Herman Daly
CASSE: Center for the Advancement of a Steady State Economy with other eco-economists such as David Orr, Robert Costanza, Josh Farley, Lisa Krall, and Peter Victor. His books include Steady-State Economics, For the Common Good (with theologian John Cobb), Valuing the Earth, Beyond Growth, Ecological Economics (with Josh Farley), Ecological Economics and Sustainable Development. Here are some key ideas from the CASSE website: