Clearcut of plantations in Usutu: Chris Lang photoLang's book Plantations, Poverty and Power (available online, 2009) compares industrial tree plantations in Africa, Asia and South America. He highlights the environmental irresponsibility of international "development" finance and hired "hitman"consultants. He says that paper can and should be produced
- without destroying native forests
- without establishing large scale monoculture tree plantations
- without impacting on local peoples’ rights and access to land and livelihoods
- without resulting in extensive environmental impacts: depletion of water resources, biodiversity loss, introduction of invasive species
- without polluting air, water and soils
- without benefiting from government direct or indirect subsidies (including ECAs, multilateral banks, or bilateral aid).
See also his warnings about REDD in The gaping chasm between climate science and climate negotiations 30 Jun 09.