Wednesday 30 January 2013

Women of Idle No More - an online discussion

âpihtawikosisân pron ah-pih-du-wi-GO-si-sahn (“half-son” = 'Métis person' in Plains Cree) is Chelsea Vowel from the Plains Cree speaking community of Lac Ste. Anne, Alberta, about 70 km west of Edmonton. She currently lives in Montreal, Quebec, a 34 year old Métis mother of two girls. She says in her blog: I have  BEd and taught for some time in Inuvik, Northwest Territories.  I obtained my LLB from the University of Alberta and then promptly moved to the only civil law jurisdiction in the country…Quebec, making my common-law degree rather less useful.So here I am, in Montreal, adjusting to an urban existence far from my home territory, adjusting to a new language and culture, and dabbling in Law and Education.  Currently I am teaching Inuit youth under protection. She has just posted a 45 minute video on Spreecast of "town hall" discussions  with women of the Idle No More movement. [Thanks to Janet Lehde for this source]

âpihtawikosisân's blog post about Attawapiskat by  shows exactly how the Indian Act creates crises, makes leaders despair, and people die. Reinforced by federal-provincial buck-passing, lies, and racist assumptions.

No comments: