Tuesday 24 December 2013

Snow art -- by Simon Beck

Simon Beck is a mapmaker, bellringer, mountain biker and trekker from Taunton, England, now based in Bourg St-Maurice, France. In the artist's own words: 
Simon Beck
I create by walking in the snow wearing raquettes (snowshoes). My personal face book website is facebook.com/snowartistIt started as a little fun after skiing one evening. Back in 2004 I was still taking orienteering seriously and used to train in the forests in the valley or hike up the Aiguille Rouge, the mountain above Arc2000 after the lifts closed in the evening. One day I couldn't be bothered but wanted a little exercise, and I got my Silva type 54 compass I use for surveying orienteering maps and went onto the little snow covered lake outside the building I live in, plotted 5 points in a pentangle; and joined them up to make a star. I then filled in the 15 triangles that resulted and later added some circles and the result was impressive especially as there is a nearby chair lift that gives a bird eye view of the lake. When fresh snowfall covered the design I did another more complicated design. More...
The following article is cross-posted from http://www.viralnova.com/simon-beck-snow-art/
It’s possible you’ve never heard of Simon Beck, but after today, you won’t be able to forget him or his wintry works of art. Simon is an artist and is most well-known for making incredibly delicate and detailed art in the snow, just by walking over a fresh snowfall. He literally walks miles in the snow to create these pieces. And the part that blows our minds? He could spend hours upon hours creating one design, just to have it be covered by snowfall or blown away by the next day. But he still makes them.
If you’d like to see more of Simon’s art (which is genius bordering on insanity), visit this Facebook page dedicated to it.

No comments: